Adjustable bed frames offer a freedom to choose your sleeping position that is unrivaled by any other sleep solution. Additionally, if you suffer from back pain or leg pain, the ability to raise those sections to your comfort level can be priceless. We think for most consumers, for their main bed, an adjustable bed is absolutely worth it.
(shamless plug: we sell adjustable beds for about 50% less than big retail stores. OK, back to the content)
Adjustable base beds are increasing in popularity as people discover the advantages. The ability to adjust to support the natural curvature of the spine is critical to an excellent night’s sleep. Not to mention the now famous “zero gravity” sleep position.
Watch our quick video and then read our breakdown of the advantages and disadvantages of adjustable beds below.
What is an Adjustable Base?
An adjustable base bed allows for the sleeper to move the bed into a position that best supports the natural curvature of the spine. By supporting the body in the ideal posture, it is possible to get a deeper, more restful night’s sleep. An adjustable base provides the means to raise the head of the bed for those who have difficulty breathing or poor circulation.
Type of Adjustable Bed Frames
Adjustable bed frames come in a variety of constructions with various options. It’s possible to get adjustable bed frames which allow each sleeping partner to choose their own position. With dual controls and the ability to choose a position that’s best suited to each partner’s unique sleep needs, you can both get a better night’s sleep.
Typical Bed Frames
Bed frames are not an inexpensive investment. Adjustable bed frames are no exception. With the extra features comes an extra price tag, not to mention the weight and difficulties in moving an adjustable base bed. It’s best to choose one room and one space for the adjustable base bed frames where it will be permanently installed. Once the bed is in place, however, the convenience and comfort of adjustable bed frames can’t be beaten. Come on down to Mattress Warehouse today and see how an adjustable bed can improve your sleep.
Adjustable bed frames have become an increasingly popular option for getting a good night’s sleep. These frames allow you unparalleled freedom to choose your sleeping position, and feel comfortable on your bed.
There are several advantages to choosing an adjustable bed frame (and perhaps a special mattress to go along with it). There are also some drawbacks. This article will discuss some of the pros and cons of adjustable beds.
Pros: Advantages of Adjustable Beds
There are some definite advantages of adjustable beds, which include:
- Better circulation. One of the biggest advantages that adjustable beds offer is improved blood circulation. Since you can adjust the bed according to your specific needs, you’ll be able to enjoy a sleeping position that makes it easier for your heart to pump blood to the parts of your body that need it the most. For example, if you need to keep a leg or a joint in a raised position, it may be easier to do so with an adjustable bed.
- Less pain. Along with better blood flow comes fewer muscle aches and looser joints. It’s very possible that an adjustable bed can contribute to less body pain due to gravity, poor circulation, or other physical factors.
- A reduction in acid reflux symptoms. If you try to sleep in a traditional flat position on your mattress, then acid reflux can make a full night’s sleep almost impossible. The bitter, bile-like taste in your mouth that acid reflux causes may wake you up multiple times during the night. However, if you sleep on an incline then your acid reflux symptoms may be greatly reduced, and you may be able to sleep easy.
- More independence. Adjustable bed frames are often the perfect solution for people that have trouble getting into or out of bed due to chronic health issues. Whether this is due to age, injury, or another factor, people that sleep on adjustable beds often enjoy better mobility (especially if handrails are incorporated into the frame’s design).
- Increased comfort. Some adjustable beds come equipped with built-in massage equipment. These vibrating motors can relax sore muscles and provide a soothing, comfortable experience for the sleeper. Moreover, the massage process can continue while the person on top of the mattress does other things, like watch TV, read a book, or knit a blanket!
- Wide variety. Adjustable beds come in a wide variety of shapes and sizes. It’s true that adjustable bed categories are somewhat different from your standard mattress specifications, but you can still choose from a range of sizes, from twin to king. While most adjustable beds tend to be queen- or king-size, there is a lot of customization available for consumers that have special needs or preferences.
- Versatility. Adjustable beds may not exactly be substitutes for sofas or love seats, but they can certainly work in a pinch! If you are working within tight space constraints, then an adjustable bed frame can serve as a perfect “multipurpose” solution for your problem.
Cons: Disadvantages of Adjustable Beds
Along with their benefits, there are also some disadvantages of adjustable beds. These include:
- Higher costs. Adjustable beds tend to be more expensive than traditional ones. After all, in order for an adjustable bed to work properly you generally need a special mattress that can accommodate the adjustments, and the right kind of frame. The combination of these two components makes your typical price tag for an adjustable bed significantly higher than the cost of its non-adjustable counterparts.
- Increased noise. You may not think of this point right away, but the truth is that adjustable beds are considerably more noisy than non-adjustable ones. Think about it: your adjustable frame’s beams and joints have to support weight in a very different, more “stressful” way than flat-frame hardware does. This often results in audible squeaks, groans, and other noises from the frame. In addition, adjustable bed frame motors may produce quite a bit of sound on their own!
- Extreme heaviness. The entire weight of a traditional bed set (mattress, box spring, and frame) may total about 200 pounds, give or take. In contrast, adjustable beds may weigh up to 3 times that amount! What this means is that not only will the initial move-in process for the adjustable bed be more difficult, but it may be hard to re-position or relocate the bed in the future. (Of course, the addition of heavy-duty casters can help solve some weight-related issues around the adjustable bed.)
- Restricted movement. Since adjustable beds may have one or more inclines and/or declines, it may be very difficult for an individual sleeping on one to shift position during the night. While this doesn’t present a problem for “stationary sleepers,” for someone who regularly tosses and turns all night, this may prove to be a very uncomfortable feature of adjustable beds. In fact, in some cases this restriction of movement may result in less quality sleep compared to that provided by a traditional bed set.
- Unique sizing categories. As mentioned previously, standard sizes for adjustable beds vary significantly from traditional ones. That also applies to their sheets and covers. For example, if you have sheets fitted for a queen-size bed and want to transfer them over to a “queen-size” adjustable set, you may find that they don’t fit over the new mattress. Sheets from traditionally-sized beds may be either too large or too small to comfortably cover an adjustable bed. In addition, sheets for adjustable beds are often more expensive than sheets for non-adjustable ones, and may be limited in terms of available colors and patterns.
As the above information clearly demonstrates, there are a lot of good reasons to invest in an adjustable bed set… and some important reasons why you may want to stay away from this option. If you have any questions about whether an adjustable bed would be right for you, don’t hesitate to reach out to our experts at No Bull Mattress today. We would be happy to answer all of your questions, and help you along the path to a wonderful night’s sleep.